Saturday, June 12, 2010

Sleeping with one eye open

So, apparently the best way to get over jet lag is to just stay awake until bedtime the next night at the new place. Easier said than done. I woke up Thursday morning at 6 am and took Sara to the airport, then went back myself and began the standing in line a few hours later. 12 hours of sitting on planes later and I was in Paris, but it was then 6 am and I had a hell of a long way to go to make it to bedtime. So, I set out to right the huge mistake of not purchasing our Eurrail pass before we left, which included a whole lot of standing in line and an immediate test of my French skills. Throughout the day, as I ended up standing in about 10 different lines, it also tested my patience. After leaving the airport I went Sacre Coeur, where Sara and I were supposed to meet after we landed, but little did I know that her flight was delayed. I spent 2 hours walking up and down the steps of the highest point in Paris then left to Alex and Kate's apartment. Sara showed up 10 minutes after I got there and we relaxed a bit, but it was still only noon. We went to the grocery store, got some cheese, a baguette and some wine and went to have a picnic by the river and wait in more lines for our pass. A few hours later (6) we had our pass but it was time to go have drinks with Alex and some of his friends, but we were toast by that point. The affair took a little longer than we expected and we ended up taking turns holding the other's head out of their dinner plate. Then... glorious sleep, 12 hours of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment